Raw salted caramel slice
My exquisite version of an old favourite. This is made with all natural ingredients and is a rich treat. Just don’t go crazy!
1.5 cup pecans
3 tbs coconut flour
2 tbs coconut oil
1/2 tbs Cocoa
2.5 cups dates softened w boiling water
3 tbs coconut milk
1 tbs coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
Cocoa or cacao to garnish
- Blend all the base ingredients in a food processor until they form a dough like consistency. If the mix is too dry add some more coconut oil or a dash of maple syrup.
- Flatten into an approximately 30cm x 20cm tray lined with baking paper -the size doesn’t really matter. The beauty of this recipe is that it is really flexible and the size of the tray will just alter the thickness of the base!
- Push and knead the base mixture to get it smooth and even. It should be quite thin by the time it is spread across the tray. Place in the freezer and proceed with the next step.
- Without washing the food processor, blend all the ingredients for the caramel until they form a thick but consistent paste. This will take a few minutes and you will need to stop the food processor occasionally to spoon the mix from the sides.
- Remove the base from the freezer and spread the caramel evenly over it.
- Dust the caramel with about a tbs of cocoa or cacao. Sprinkle with some rock salt, depending on how salted you like your caramel.
- Return to the freezer for at least 6 hours.
- Remove and cut into bite sized pieces. Keep in the freezer in an air tight container for up to a month.