Lemon baked chicken with olives
This lemon baked chicken is a really easy one tray dish that you can throw together, put in the oven and forget about until, voila, dinner is ready! The lemon and olives give the chicken give this dish a sharp, tangy flavour and the chicken fat combined with wine and stock creates a nice gravy.
We can get rid of the idea that lean chicken breast is the healthiest choice of meat. It’s so boring! Thighs and wings are fattier and far more nutrient dense cuts, which means they will make your vegies really tasty, requiring you to do less! Enjoy this lemon baked chicken as a full meal or with a salad on the side.
- 1 tbs lard
- 1 brown onion
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 parsnip
- 2 carrots
- 2 beetroot
- 1 lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 can chopped tomatoes
- 6 cherry tomatoes halved
- 10-12 olives (green or black)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbs red or white wine
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Heat the lard in a pan on low. Finely chop the onions, add to the pan and sautee until fragrant. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the all the root vegetables into 2inch cubes.
- Spread the sauted onions across the bottom of a deep ovenproof dish. Then arrange the chopped root vegetables on top with the bay leaf.
- Spread the tomato puree roughly over the chicken thighs and then place two slices of lemon on top of each thigh.
- Arrange the lemon topped chicken thighs on top of the vegetables. Spread the cherry tomatoes and olives across the top of the dish and sprinkle with parsley. Drizzle the stock and wine over the dish. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and place the tray to the oven for 45 minutes.
- Check that the chicken and vegetables have cooked through. Be careful not to overcook the chicken. The skin should be just shy of crispy to ensure tender meat. Remove the foil and return the tray to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven once the chicken skin has crisped up and you are happy with the crispiness of the vegetables.
- Serve with a side salad or enjoy on its own!