Tasty homemade dip selection
Dips are one of my favourite snacking foods. With some vegetable sticks or some gluten free crackers (every now and then a treat is great) they can bulk up your snacks and taste great. Here are a couple of really simple combinations of vegetables, nuts, some cheese and oil.
Sweet potato and cashew homemade dip
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 tbs coconut oil
- 120g cashews (1 cup )
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbs fresh coriander
- 4 tbs sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into 1cm cubes so they roast quickly. Melt the coconut oil in a pan and coat the sweet potato cubes.
- Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven for about 20 minutes or until they are tender. With five minutes left, add the cashews to the roasting tray to allow them to cook slightly.
- Remove the tray and allow the sweet potato and cashews to cool.
- Meanwhile roughly chop the coriander.
- Put the sweet potato, cashews, spices, coriander and sesame oil into a food processor and blend until it forms a thick consistency.
- Serve in bowl with a topping of chopped coriander. Enjoy with vegetable sticks.
Tomato pesto homemade dip
- 4 fresh tomatoes
- 4 tbs cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
- 50g cup pine nuts (1/3 cup)
- 3 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbs chopped basil leaves
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Bake the tomaotes whole at 180°C for 15 minutes.
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor. Add a drizzle of the oil from the sundried tomato jar. Blend until it forms a smooth paste.
- Add salt and lemon juice to achieve the flavour you like.
- Serve with vegetable sticks.