Delicious sautéed purple cabbage
My sauteed purple cabbage is a delicious accompaniment to any meat dish. The orange rind gives it a nice bit of tartness which goes perfectly with the sweetess brought by the dates. Put it on the stove and leave it to simmer away while you do something else. Simple!
- Half a purple cabbage
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 3 dates
- ½ tsp orange rind
- salt and pepper
- Slice the cabbage very thinly. Boil the kettle.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan on low heat. As it melts add the cabbage and stir around so it is coated in the butter.
- Add two tbs of hot water from the kettle. Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and add the apple cider vinegar and dates. Grate the orange rind directly onto the cabbage. Cover again and cook for a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the cabbage begins to soften add a little more salt and pepper. Serve with meat and some salad. This goes very well with pork, duck and roast beef.