Sautéed Broccoli and pecans
Struggling to get some healthy greens into your diet? This is a quick and tasty recipe to help. You can substitute the broccoli for Brussels sprouts or kale and add more or less dates to bring the sweetness up or down. Swap any nuts such as macadamias (pictured) or walnuts for pecans too.
Cooking these vegetables in quality fats means you will absorb far more vitamins A,C,E and K which are fat soluble.
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 head broccoli
- Pink rock salt
- 3 medjool dates
- 2 tbs pecans
- Roughly chop the broccoli, florets and stalks into approximately 2cm pieces.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan. Once the oil has become liquid add the chopped broccoli. Add a couple of grinds of rock salt.
- Coat in the coconut oil then cover the pan with a lid. This allows the broccoli to be heated through by the steam.
- Chop the dates into small pieces. Add to the broccoli and stir through. Cover again with the saucepan lid, which allows the heat of the steam soften the dates.
- Meanwhile roughly chop the pecans. Leave with the lid on low for another 5 minutes or until the broccoli has softened.
- Finally remove from the heat, stir through the pecans and serve hot.