Sautéed apple and cabbage (perfect accompaniment to pork)
- 1 tbs lard
- ½ white onion
- Half a white cabbage
- 1 green granny smith apple (cooking apple or regular)
- ½ cup chicken and vegetable stock
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the lard in a large frying pan. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes or until very lightly caramelised.
- Meanwhile finely chopped the white cabbage and apples. When the onions are sufficiently caramelised add the cabbage, apples, stock, apple cider vinegar and a generous grind of salt. Stir the ingredients to ensure the liquid has spread evenly, reduce the heat and then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove the lid and stir occasionally.
- Once the cabbage and apple have softened to your preference add a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Serve with roast pork and roasted vegetables if you want more carbohydrate in the meal.