Liver is a true super food. It is a great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin B6, selenium, phosphorus, iron, copper, manganese, zinc and more. A couple of serves a week of this delicious pate is a great way to boost your reserves of all these essential nutrients. If the taste is too strong for you at first, try covering it with a bit of homemade chutney or some mustard. Eventually you should get used to it and you will be doing your body a huge favour, giving it the nutrition it needs to thrive,
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk celery (optional)
- 5 tbs cooking fat (I used a combination of coconut oil and ghee)
- Approx 500g liver (chicken, lamb or pork). Prepare by removing the sinew and other stringy bits.
- 1 cup red wine, sherry or port
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh tarragon
- Salt and pepper to season
- Heat the fat in a large saucepan.
- Sauté the onion, garlic (and celery) until soft.
- Add the chopped livers and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes or until they begin to brown.
- Add the wine or sherry or port, rosemary, tarragon and season very generously with salt and pepper.
- Continue to simmer the mixture until most of the liquid has cooked off and the liver pieces are completely cooked.
- Allow to cool slightly and then transfer to a food processor. Blend until smooth.