Carrot and parsnip soup
This soup is full of colourful vegetables that are rich in a range of minerals and vitamins. Combining them with a good quality fat, such as ghee, coconut oil or butter helps to maximise your body’s ability to absorb these important nutrients. The presence of high quality starchy vegetables mean this soup will fill a hunger hole while satisfying your need for something rich and slightly sweet.
- 2 tbs cooking fat (ghee, coconut oil or butter)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 parsnips, roughly chopped
- 2 potatoes, roughly chopped
- 2L vegetable or chicken stock
- Inch cube ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika (smoked or otherwise)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the fat in a large saucepan.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the celery and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add to carrot, parsnip, potato and ginger and cook for another few minutes. Add the spices and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the stock into the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and let the pot simmer for about fifteen minutes.
- When vegetables are tender remove the pot from the heat. Use a stick blender or decant the soup into a food processor and blend until the soup is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh coriander.