Grain free banana caramel bites
These grain free banana caramel bites are a nice little sugar hit when you need a treat, but all the sweetness comes from natural sources. I came up with this recipe when I wanted to get rid of some grain and sugar free baking ingredients from the pantry so it includes quite a few ingredients. Grain and refined sugar free and best of all you can have them in the freezer in 15 minutes. Keep them in there for up to a few months and whip them out when you have spontaneous visitors or someone wants a treat.
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbs desiccated coconut
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbs butter, softened
- 3 tsp cocoa
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3 bananas
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 cup brazil nuts (approximately 10)
- 1 cup almonds (approximately 25)
- 1 tbs desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Prepare a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Place all the base ingredients in a food processor and mix together until they form a doughy texture. Scrape down the sides occasionally to ensure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Take half a teaspoon of the mixture and using clean hands roll it around to help it stick together. Once you have a nice tight ball place the mix onto the baking paper and use the back of the teaspoon to gently flatten. You should have a nice rounded, flat shaped bit of dough. Repeat until all the base mix has been used up.
- Place the biscuits in the oven and cook for five minutes only. The biscuits don’t need long at all and will burn if you don’t keep an eye on them. Be careful! They are cooked with they begin to go a slightly lighter colour.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Rinse the food processor then place all the ingredients for the banana caramel inside. Blend until the mix is of a smooth consistency. Set aside until the biscuits have cooled completely.
- Spoon half a teaspoon of the caramel mix and place on top of each of the biscuits. Place in the freezer and allow them to set for at least three hours.
- Remove at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy as a sweet treat!